Saturday 19 November 2011

Taaa-Daaaahhh - Autumn Jumper.

And a bit of an ooops.   I need to an an inch or so to the arms, tis a bit short for the boy.    There's a few other mistakes, but for the first jumper I've completed for Rye, and using my own design/winging it, I'm pretty happy.... although I need to see how it looks with a pair of trousers.  Rye has insisted on a pj day and the jumper clashes alot with his tiger stripe pj bottoms.



The jumper is a simple construction of trebles (UK terms) on a size 4.5mm hook with anchor magic self striping cotton.  This cotton has a lovely lustre to it, and it hangs really well too and is soft to the touch.  I've actually mixed 3 different self striping colour ways here, to make a very colourful autumnal jumper.  Lost  count of how many balls of yarn I used, I think about 6 x 50g balls.  I worked from the bottom up, simply decreasing a wee bit to create shaping around the chest area, and when I sewed up the sides I just left a gap for the arms, from the beginning of the decreases - this created a natural arm hole shape.  Then I crochet directly into the arm hole, first with doubles to create the foundation row, and then with trebles.  I spiraled the rounds, but for the last stitch of each round I dc instead of tr, this helped with the shaping of the arms, and is where I did the dcreases to narrow the arms down gradually.

I'm planning on another jumper in some beautiful 100% twilley's wool, but next time when I make the body of the jumper I'll go for a more hourglass shape, well kinda.... I'll decrease again to the chest area, as this creates anatural arm hole too, but then increase again across the shoulders --- hmm or perhaps I need to just tie off and come in several stitches on either side to creat the arm /chest shaping..... that might work better actually othewise I might end up with too long a body in order to fit in all the decreases and increases....

playtime!  lol.

7 comments:

Fiona said...

Wow - that is a gorgeous jumper Jacqui and Rye looks so happy.
Welcome back, and glad all is ok with you.

Joxy34 said...

Thanks Fiona :-) I do love the colours, the photo really doesn't do them justice, and happily my boy likes bright colours just like his mama :-)

arwen_tiw said...

It's fab Joxy! Well done you. :)

Pippa said...

Wow, that's so clever and even more impressive that it's your own design! The colours are lovely and it looks very comfy to wear too! xxxx

Rose said...

I love it Joxy you clever lady you! X

devonmama said...

Lovely colour Joxy, and that's a great sweater without a pattern, go you! xx

Stephanie said...

It's a beautiful sweater! The colors are so pretty and cheerful!