Saturday 16 March 2013

Dangerous Yarn Adventures!


 By Thursday most of the snow had melted.  Thursday is Home Ed Group day and we had decided to go to Kidz Planet and I offered to drive over and give a friend a lift... she's only 15 min drive away..... and look; some of the snow was higher than the car!  Haven't seen it like this since I was a kid living in Yorkshire!

 Ahhhh crochet, how I love you.  Above is a baby blanket I'm making for a GP mama, to gift her sister.  Ambivalence has dogged me so far, I initially started using a deep strong teal and a strong dark green.  I wasn't feeling it; that was frogged, I re looked at my colours and chose the above colours; but felt there wasn't balance, I've since picked up a few more greens; a soft green and a lovely soft lime green, which should compliment the above scheme nicely and provide more balance :-)


The owl wall hanging was finished and posted.  I must ask the recipient to take a photo, weather has been so rubbish here and the light so dark, I wasn't able to get a decent photo.  Pleased how it turned out.  I think single motifs on the corner of baby blankets would look lovely too!  I've also been comissioned to make a purse out of these motfis.  Bit of a new challenge for me; adding a zip - not something I've done before.  I really wish I could get one of those sharp crochet hooks, specifically for crocheting onto fabric, that would make life sooooooo much easier - actually my small hooks might be sharp enough to poke through...hmmm will test.  I do love the creative process; being inspired, sketching ideas, adding colours, textures, working out stitch patterns if not using an existing pattern... fun, fun, fun!

Another make was sent out; I'll let you go and have a look on my Etsy page if interested; it was a stripey willy warmer; gosh, I had a giggle fest taking photos; laughing so hard, tears ran down my face!


Oooh and a tale I have for this yarn!  Last September a client gave me a voucher for £20 for a LYS, as a thank you for minding her daughter.  Today, I found it, I'd completely forgotten about it, I needed greens for the baby blanket (yes, those greens; lovely yarn, it's by KingCole, called Comfort, and acrylic/nylon mix - very soft and scrummy), so ideal, and well, while there I decided to treat myself - I love James C Brett Marble Chunky, and the red yarn, is a actually a weird almost fillet crochet ribbon; looking forward to experimenting with it for my freeform projects.

The tale?  Heart stopping - almost literally for me!  The yarn shop I went to is in Dover, and the drive from here to there was wet and very windy, the car was buffeted a fair bit.  On the way back, half way home, this object, out of nowhere was flying straight toward my  head, I ducked, as you do - not that it would have mattered of course had it hit the windscreen.  Phew, thankfully it didn't; but it did hit the roofbox with an almighty thud.  Very proud, I kept my cool and not a swerve in sight.....  pounding heart, stomach in mouth.. but otherwise ok.

Initially, I thought it was a seagull, but the thud I heard had a metalic sound.  Heart sank back down into my chest as it dawned on me.. the wind had blown the grill off the front of the car - and that is why it suddenly appeared from nowhere. Thank goodness no other cars were behind me; it could have caused an accident.  I am very unhappy, you may remember, the grill fell off 24hrs after I purchased the car, and I had a bit of wrangling with the dealership to get them to replace it.....  that it's come off again, has made me an unhappy bunny.  I've now had the nearly a year though, and of course the grill isn't covered by the warranty... isn't that typical.  I shall be writing to Vauxhall and declaring my unhappy bunnyiness!  In the meantime, Zaffy is a bit naked at the front :-(  Poor love.














No comments: