Monday 30 March 2015

Woooooosh...

that's the sound of me blowing the dust off my blog.

Lots of catching up to do, eh.

Life is busy, Rye is growing up far too fast, and I have even more grey hair!

Life has been dominated by setting up a creative space for me to work in, home education and life in a commune.

Once I have finished sorting through my supplies and yarn I will post photos of my new space.  I'm very pleased with it, and the view from my desk is stunning!  (This view is actually from where I sit to drink my morning coffee, but I can see it too from my desk)


Home Education - well, as there is wont to be, I wobbled viciously and fell into the trap of trying to teach and impose learning on Rye.  Unmitigated disaster!  Thank the Gods, I realised the error of my ways and backed off.  This includes the near constant arguments and frustrations over screen time, and the re-realisation that my job is to provide Rye with opportunities - or to use the unschooling term, to "strew".  

That led me to acceptance of Rye's screen time, which, I have to say, is a huge issue for me.  Personally, I don't see how Minecraft, at least the way Rye uses it, is educational, and it feels weak to tell myself that Rye implementing things he's learned about the game from you tube videos in his "world" is "learning".

 I chaff at the hours he wants to spend watching said videos, or playing minecraft and other games, when I feel he should be outside playing, exploring his environment, climbing trees, helping in the garden and with the animals, going on adventures with his friends, riding his bike.  And when he's not doing that, exploring the wide range of books available to him, asking me to make amazing creative structures with him, play educational board games, explore scientific themes and do experiments, exploring the amazing art galleries and museums available to him...

Well, actually, it's not that he isn't, it's that I feel he should be doing MORE.  And I realised this has come from a place of fear.  Fear that his reading will never become fluent, or his handwriting legible and beautiful, fear that he will not have sufficient knowledge, learning, lifeskills... (it's not like he's living in a socially conscious co-operative, where we are all involved in social change...oh wait...)   This led to the cognizance that for some daft reason I've been expecting Rye to be pretty much like me.
Pratt!

How has it taken me so long to get my head around the fact we are different, he experiences things differently to me.  I loathe, detest and despise computer games, horrible time eating, soul gobbling machinations of wastefulness.  My son finds them wonderful, imagination stretching vehicles of fun, he and his friends pour over their screens, cackling at whatever  building they have just blown up, or zombies mowed down by increasingly upgraded vehicles...  shudder  and through his own investigation he's also watched numerous you tube videos on the solar system, on various scientific laws, animals that capture his interest...and yeah ok, a lot of spoof rubbish that has  me rolling my eyes.  But that is all ok.  I've just been a tad dim of late.

He's not a big fan of reading - um, yeah, partly because I pushed a bit too hard to try and "teach" him to read - yet he doesn't refuse to have a book read to him, and he often pops on an audio book to listen to while playing in his room, or at bedtime...so who am I to say he doesn't love books - he simply chooses to experience them in a different way.  In fact as I sit here typing, it occurs to me that Rye even enjoys reading to me - when, and it's a biggy, when I back off and let him decide when he's had enough - rather than insisting his finish the book...  yeah, I know, lost my way rather significantly!

So, back to blogging, I think it will help me to keep centered and to truly see the learning that is happening around me... for instance, today, sat in the cafe having breakfast and we started talking about forces and motion...ok I'll allow that my son's mind does rather perplex me at times;

"Mum, babies are a force when they come out..."  um, not quite, son.  How talking about "tug of war" as an example of forces - both balanced and unequal, led to that gem, I have no idea.  He did know the Earth is a big magnet, that magnetism is another type of force and gravity is a pulling force, so I shan't worry too much.

I'll be blogging about other areas of our/my life too.  My blog would not be my blog without crochet posts, baking, juices...so yeah I'm back.... besides, Rye is growing up so fast, and these days I'm lucky to get more than a couple photos for the entire month.

Lets have a look at what I have for March;

We made a kite from willow sticks, plastic bag and my crochet cotton for the Fly Kites Not Drones international event on the Equinox.

Eating snacks after Sports for Fun, where he played hockey, basketball and badminton.
Pizza Hut after a workshop at the World Museum on Spiders and Scorpions and other creepy crawlies, and afterwards he insisted on going and looking around the World Museum's bug section.
And last week, we visited the Maritime Museum and he participated in a workshop on Endangered animals and smuggling, which he really enjoyed, and again afterwards he wanted to look around the museum.

Today we have, as I mentioned, discussed Forces and Motion, and we've watched a few you tube videos on Newtons Laws of Motion, watched some cool experiments and decided which ones we want to do ourselves, we've been shopping and Rye decided to use some of his pocket money to buy a water gun, and by the sound of it, he's now on Minecraft.

Autonomous, interested led learning is back on the agenda!  We are back!

Yay!


No comments: