Tuesday 21 December 2010

Winter Solstice & Season Swap

Solstice Blessing dear friends - The sun is reborn!

Did you see the sunrise?  Sadly it was too cloudy here, so missed the eclipse too, such a shame. 

Our day began early with the rustle of wrapping paper.  Rye was trying to take a rather large and full stockng downstairs to open.  I suggested he come into my bedroom and he sat on my bed and opened his gifts.

He excitedly told me the Winter King had been and with an intent look on his face he began to unwrap his gifts.  He was so intent, and then once a gift had been opened and inspected, he would look up at me and grin cheekily.  Then downstairs we came.
Rye was too busy playing with the gifts in his stocking to notice the pile of presents here.
The plan had been to go out before breakfast; snowball fight, make a snowman, cheer the risen sun (even though we haven't see the sun all day - I'm assured it has risen), unfortunately the saga with my ear continues and a secondry and very painful infection has taken root in the outer ear, which means my ear itself is very sore and it's affecting the left side of my face. 

So instead I lit candles and we stood before the table display and cheered the victory of the Oak King over the Holly King.  
Then a much needed coffee!

Then I sat down and suggested Rye had a look under the gold playsilk.  Bless him, he lifted it up and went, "Oooooooooh, more gifts, mama."  Skippng from foot to foot.
Huge grin when he saw the dumper truck that his Uncle Kev and Aunty Helen had bought him. 
Struggling a little with the ties on the gift bags.
"Mama, my tractor!"
And then I sat down and helped Rye build this big traintrack using the new junction tracks. 

Last night when I wrapped and put out his gifts I was briefly struck with panick that he didn't have enough presents.  I grew up where the underneath of the tree was groaning with presents - most of which were cheap tat that broke on the day.  I've consciously decided not to replicate this; feeling that opening one present and after another is overwhelming and frankly a little boring - plus it becomes about how many presents there is, rather than appreciation for a few truly wanted items. 

The Winter Solstice is celebrating the slowly returning light, its about looking inward and outward, about becoming the best person you can be; about family and love, thankfulness and joy - gifts are merely an element of that - and for me personally, I take great enjoyment in giving, whether it be buying something I know a loved one really would appreciate or something that I have taken time and love to make.
Its also about sharing, and surely the Green Parent Season Swap embodies this.  This is the beautiful swap we received from the talented Sunshine.  Rye looked at me and grinned when he saw the penguin.  Last week he watched quite a lot of pingu and subsequently has been asking to go and visit penguins.  A happy coincidence indeed.  I love the snowman bunting too, and looks lovely hung up on our toy shelves.
My own gift to a fellow Mama has been delayed owning to this dratted ear and being too ill to pop to the post office last week.  I hope, when it is finally received it will bring as much joy and appreciation as I have felt for our gift. 


And naturally, a penguin should have tractor trailer rides..

7 comments:

Claire said...

Solstice Blessings to you and Rye. So sorry you are under the weather still, but looks as if your Yuletide has been good despite it.

Queenie24 said...

Looks like he's having a whale of a time, the penguin looks fabulous. I think a few rousing choruses of 'Old McDonald had a farm and on the farm he had some penguins...with a waddle waddle here'. I have a dance routine forming too.

Q

arwen_tiw said...

Beautiful pictures from today!! :)

We thought we had missed the eclipse, unable to see anything but clouds, but apparently Martin saw it on his walk to work and was overwhelmed by it. I'm so glad he saw it, even if the rest of us missed out. :)

Jacqui said...

Sending healing blessings to you. It looks as if you and Rye have had a lovely special day.
(James will be getting that dumper truck from his granpa - hope he doesn't read this - lol.)
I love your comment on giving - surely that is the best gift you can give Rye - seeing how much love you give to others and the joy you get in return.
xxx

Eoforhild said...

Wow. Your tree looks beautiful.

Rye looks so happy with all his presents. I like what you said about quality over quantity. I've been worrying that I haven't got 'enough' for Abigail, when really at her age she won't even care.

Solstice blessings to you both and I hope you feel better soon.

Fiona said...

Your solstice looks lovely Jacqui. And I agree wholeheartedly about presents heaped upon presents under the tree.
We have also got the girls very little this year, but chosen or made only really solid things that will hopefully last and be played with for years.
Rye certainly looked happy enough.

Dawn said...

Solstice blessings for yesterday, hope your good health returns soon xxx