Rye has asked that I crochet him a snail for Yule. I mentioned to a friend that I was planning on making him a tank top or waist coat with a snail motif on it, and she said she had a pattern in a book:
A really lovely book, with some cool patterns. Only slight problem is most of the patterns are made in 4ply and only go up to 4yr old. So, I ended up using the pattern as a guide for my own pattern.
And Rye has now decided he doesn't want a snail on the tank top - I think I'll probably still make one and see how he feels once I've finished it. I won't be doing the snail in the photo, I've seen a cool spiral using the bullion stitch, which looks fab, so I'm going to make the shell that way.
Anyway, this is my version of the vest:
This is the self striping cotton I bought from a local yarn shop for 99p per ball, and used 2 and a bit balls per side.
I have quite a bit left, so I'll be making other things with this cotton as it works up really rather nice.
Once on, Rye didn't want to take his new tank top off.
I changed the edging too, and instead used yellow rico creative design aran cotton, and did a round of double crochet followed by a round of crab stitch. I think it works really nice. Really rather pleased with how this has turned out. This has worked up really quickly too, took me about 4 days. I shall be making other variations for Rye as well as jumpers, as I have some yummy pure wool to use too :-)