Wednesday 26 May 2010

Fine and Dandy Day.

Hmm, apart from Blogger playing silly buggers. I've had to go back to the old editor to post, the newer one is not loading for me properly.

Yesterday, was a fine and dandy day. The sun shone mostly, the wind meant I was able to dry 3 loads of laundry, the children played, they crayoned, and at the end of the day I managed to read my book a little.

Photos in wrong order, I forgot that the old uploaded does it backwards.

Raggae Jerk Sauce marinated tofu, pasta and salad. Very tasty indeed. I've tried tofu a few times and alwasy been underwhelmed. On advice of GP mamas, I fried the tofu until blackened and crispy on the outside. Very nice indeed, the children enjoyed too.
Rye's masterpeice. A sheep.
Following the pictures and singing to himself. (The Old McDonald book). The children also laid on the beanbag and Rye showed C the pictures of the animals and told her what sounds they made. A chorus of "Moos" and "Baaaas" punctuating the lounge, along with, "Eeeeiiiiioooooooo" Tis a pity I cannot share the photo of them together, it is so very cute.
.
The crafting of the sheep.
Rye changes back and forth between fist hold and pincer holds. I've noticed he tends to do the fist hold when the paper is straight before him. When at an angle he tends to hold the pen/pencil with a pincer hold.

And more reading, this time of, "You are your child's first teacher," by Rahima Baldwin. Fairly similar to "Heaven on Earth, A handbook for parents of young children", although I found Baldwin's book is more about preparing the child for school, and some of the discipline ideas are not my cup of tea. Yet again though, the rhythms, the use of song and art, and in effect the "unschooling" nature of early years Waldorf, felt inspiring and I found myself last night, far too late in the night, thinking about our days and how I could bring more rhythm and perhaps a little less anarachy, into our days.

Very useful, too, to be reminded of the nature of young children, their memory capabilities and again how children learn, at this age, through imitation. Immensely helpful for some challenging behaviours I have been dealing with, that on occasion have made me feel very frustrated and fed up.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I found the Rahima Baldwin book a bit frustrating at times, and a lot of common sense stuff too but an interesting read on the whole.

Imogen's a lefty (like me) and still switches between grips of pencils, etc depending on what she is doing. Having the paper at an angle is a really key thing for left handers as it helps them see their work and avoids twisting at the wrist. Rye's pictures are really developing now aren't they - he's obviously got the drawing bug now. I've loved seeing how drawings and styles have developed over the years here.

Joxy34 said...

Yes, I do just finished it while the children napped. I had to bypass the chapters on festivals because she was begginning to get on my wick by repeatedly saying that nature "echos" Jesus' ressurection - so clearly inaccurate, the Ressurection Myth is a common one in religions and spiritual paths and is a reflection OF nature, which, lets face it, has been around far, far longer than man and religion.

On the whole, an interesting read; but yes some very frustrating elements.

Cave Mother said...

I've never had success with tofu unless I buy the ready-marinaded stuff. I've tried frying it for ages but it always ends up breaking into loads of little bits. Yours look delicious though.